What is medication adherence?
Medication adherence, or your medication routine, means taking your medication as directed by your prescriber. However, we know it can be hard to take medication as prescribed, especially if you’re taking multiple medicines a day. So we’re here to help you make medication adherence part of your daily routine with some helpful tips and encouragement.
Why medication adherence is important
One of the easiest ways to take control of your health is to take your medication at the right time. Following your healthcare provider’s instructions is important for your well-being and can treat temporary illness and help manage chronic conditions.¹ Failure to take your medicine as prescribed could cause prolonged illness or worsen your disease.
Tips for staying on track
There are many ways to make sure you’re taking your medications as directed, and we’ve put together a few tips to help you get started:
- Review your current medications and prescribing information. Understanding the instructions is important for making sure you take the correct dose at the right time.
- Keep a calendar and/or list of your medications. A calendar/document with your medication names and refill information will help keep you on track.
- Incorporate your medicine into your routine. Taking your medications at the same time as an activity you perform every day is a great way to remember your dose.
- Switch to 90-day mail delivery. Ordering your medications through a mail-order pharmacy, such as CenterWell Pharmacy®, will ensure your medications are on hand.*
- Use a pill dispenser. Organizing your medications by day can help you take the right dose of your medicine at the right time.
Helpful digital tools
There are multiple free and easy-to-use tools to help you take your medications as prescribed, such as:
- CenterWell Pharmacy’s mobile app: It's quick and easy to download our mobile app and set up personal medication reminders to stay on track with your meds (not available in Spanish).
- Your CenterWell Pharmacy account: Sign in to your online account to enroll your eligible medications for auto refill. This ensures you always have your meds when you need them.
How CenterWell Pharmacy can help
It’s important to follow your medication’s prescribing information to treat your illness or chronic condition. If you have questions about when or how to take your medication, talk to your prescriber. If you still have questions, please call CenterWell Pharmacy at 800-379-0092 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 11 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Eastern time if you need help.
- “Why You Need to Take Your Medications as Prescribed or Instructed,” U.S. Food & Drug Administration, last accessed January 6, 2022, https://www.fda.gov/drugs/special-features/why-you-need-take-your-medications-prescribed-or-instructed.
Disclaimer: This material is provided for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional. You should consult with your doctor to determine what is right for you.
* Other pharmacies are available in your network.